Elite Baseball Development Podcast: Beyond Pitch Design with Mark Lowy
Written on March 18, 2020 at 9:08 am, by Eric Cressey
We’re excited to welcome Cressey Sports Performance – Florida associate pitching coordinator and strength and conditioning coach Mark Lowy this week’s podcast for an in-depth discussion on how we create comprehensive development programs for our professional pitchers. Mark flies under the radar, but he’s a tremendous asset to our offerings at CSP-FL and has built a loyal following of elite arms.
- How Mark Lowy and Brian Kaplan have expanded analytics in the off-season preparation of pitchers at CSP-FL
- What work the CSP-FL pitching staff is doing to create individualized pitching reports for their pitchers
- How Mark approaches collecting and compiling each pitcher’s pitching report and what makes CSP’s model and application of evaluating pitchers unique
- How Mark’s role at CSP involves the translation of data and biomechanics into simple, understandable recommendations
- Why Mark aims to be subjective before objective and apply a human element to his coaching and analysis of pitchers
- Why you can’t make pitch design or pitch usage recommendations based purely off data
- How understanding a pitcher and their approach influences how data is applied to their game
- What is Mark’s primary focus when developing pitching skills with younger athletes and why building pitchability should evolve from what an athlete’s body allows them to do and what their delivery does for them
- Why coaches need to appreciate pitchers’ unique attributes and avoid coaching towards average
- How a player’s movement capabilities influence their mechanics and why appreciating how a player moves can explain the authenticity of their throwing motion
- What aspects of the delivery impact horizontal and vertical release points in pitchers and how identifying and understanding specific release point trends can lead to the proper mechanical fixes
- What vertical approach angle is and how it impacts how a hitter perceives a pitcher
- When diving into player analytics, what are some numbers that blew Mark’s mind and caught his attention to look into further
- How coaches need to appreciate how a pitcher’s arsenal plays uniquely to hitters
- Why synergy between skill development coaches, strength and conditioning coaches, and sports medicine professionals is differentiated at CSP and how Mark uses his resources to create the best experience for his pitchers
- What high school and college pitchers can do to best prepare themselves for success in baseball
This episode is brought to you by Athletic Greens. It’s an all-in-one superfood supplement with 75 whole-food sourced ingredients designed to support your body’s nutrition needs across 5 critical areas of health: 1) energy, 2) immunity, 3) gut health, 4) hormonal support, and 5) healthy aging. Head to www.AthleticGreens.com/cressey and claim my special offer today – 20 FREE travel packs (valued at $79) – with your first purchase. I use this product daily myself and highly recommend it to our athletes as well. I’d encourage you to give it a shot, too – especially with this great offer.
If you like what you hear, we’d be thrilled if you’d consider subscribing to the podcast and leaving us an iTunes review. You can do so HERE.
And, we welcome your suggestions for future guests and questions. Just email [email protected]
Thank you for your continued support!
Sign-up Today for our FREE Baseball Newsletter and Receive Instant Access to a 47-minute Presentation from Eric Cressey on Individualizing the Management of Overhead Athletes!