CSP Elite Baseball Development Podcast with Brad Miller
Written on December 3, 2019 at 8:43 pm, by Eric Cressey
We’re excited to welcome Philadelphia Phillies utility player Brad Miller to this week’s podcast. A special thanks to this show’s sponsor, Athletic Greens. Head to http://www.athleticgreens.com/cressey and you’ll receive a free 20-pack of Athletic Greens travel packets with your first order.
- Why Brad chose to attend Clemson University out of high school even though he was drafted by the Texas Rangers
- What key competencies Brad lacked coming out of high school that made collegiate baseball the appropriate decision for his career
- How high level collegiate baseball compares to the ranks of professional baseball
- How Brad transitioned into affiliated baseball so smoothly out of college
- What memorable moments and insightful lessons Brad recalls from playing in the big leagues for seven different organizations
- How Brad became the valued utility player he is today after being drafted as a shortstop out of Clemson
- How the athleticism needed at shortstop impacts a player’s ability to move into a utility role
- How the perspective of a utility player has transformed in recent years in Major League Baseball and what opportunities this type of role offers a player, coach, and organization
- What the hardest position was for Brad to learn as he moved into a utility role
- How Brad was able to learn the ins and outs of being an outfielder as a ballplayer who grew up playing in the infield
- How Brad prepares in-season to be ready to play any defensive position on any given day
- What injuries Brad played through during the 2018 season that eventually led to him needing core muscle surgery and a hip labral surgery in order to come back for healthy for 2019
- How asking for advice from former teammates and players who have gone through similar injuries proved to be influential in Brad’s rehab
- What lessons Brad would give to any athlete who is about to have hip surgery
- Why Brad chose to adjust his weight post-surgery to ease the pain on his joints and improve the longevity of his career
- What players Brad likes to watch and learn from both defensively and offensively
This episode is brought to you by Athletic Greens. It’s an all-in-one superfood supplement with 75 whole-food sourced ingredients designed to support your body’s nutrition needs across 5 critical areas of health: 1) energy, 2) immunity, 3) gut health, 4) hormonal support, and 5) healthy aging. Head to www.AthleticGreens.com/cressey and claim my special offer today – 20 FREE travel packs (valued at $79) – with your first purchase. I use this product daily myself and highly recommend it to our athletes as well. I’d encourage you to give it a shot, too – especially with this great offer.
If you like what you hear, we’d be thrilled if you’d consider subscribing to the podcast and leaving us an iTunes review. You can do so HERE.
And, we welcome your suggestions for future guests and questions. Just email [email protected]
Thank you for your continued support!
Sign-up Today for our FREE Baseball Newsletter and Receive Instant Access to a 47-minute Presentation from Eric Cressey on Individualizing the Management of Overhead Athletes!