CSP Elite Baseball Development Podcast with Mitch Haniger
Written on April 15, 2020 at 5:35 am, by Eric Cressey
We’re excited to welcome Seattle Mariners outfielder Mitch Haniger to this week’s podcast. A special thanks to this show’s sponsor, Athletic Greens. Head to http://www.athleticgreens.com/cressey and you’ll receive a free 20-pack of Athletic Greens travel packets with your first order.
- How being a multi-sport athlete helped Mitch develop into the outfielder he is today
- Why Mitch chose to attend Cal Poly and how his experience there shaped him into a big leaguer
- How Mitch worked through the ups and downs of his college career and what key competencies he has focused on to take his game to the next level
- Why smart guys often struggle with being analytical at the plate and how Mitch is working to simplify his process and focus on competing in the box above all else
- How stumbling upon hitting coach Bobby Tewksbary’s work inspired Mitch to revamp his swing and what “aha” moment propelled Mitch into a breakout 2016 season
- How being sent down to High A, transforming his swing to hit the ball in the air, and incorporating a leg kick ignited his career and gave him the success necessary to advance through the professional ranks
- What the commonalities between the elite hitting coaches Mitch has worked with
- What inspired Mitch to become such a student of the game, and how his studies influenced his preparation and daily routine for nutrition, rehab, training, and game prep
- Why and how Mitch prioritizes “controlling the controllables”
- Despite the nationwide shut down, why Mitch has been setting aside more time to attune his attention, focus, and mindfulness and what ways he practices mental skills on a daily basis
- How players can leverage the resources they have within their organization to develop their mental skills
- What Mitch’s game day routine is
- How Mitch is often overlooked defensively and what skills are important in order to play great defense
- How Mitch works to hone his defensive capability and what motivates him to want to be a complete player
- What hitters Mitch likes to study and why
This episode is brought to you by Athletic Greens. It’s an all-in-one superfood supplement with 75 whole-food sourced ingredients designed to support your body’s nutrition needs across 5 critical areas of health: 1) energy, 2) immunity, 3) gut health, 4) hormonal support, and 5) healthy aging. Head to www.AthleticGreens.com/cressey and claim my special offer today – 20 FREE travel packs (valued at $79) – with your first purchase. I use this product daily myself and highly recommend it to our athletes as well. I’d encourage you to give it a shot, too – especially with this great offer.
If you like what you hear, we’d be thrilled if you’d consider subscribing to the podcast and leaving us an iTunes review. You can do so HERE.
And, we welcome your suggestions for future guests and questions. Just email [email protected]
Thank you for your continued support!
Sign-up Today for our FREE Baseball Newsletter and Receive Instant Access to a 47-minute Presentation from Eric Cressey on Individualizing the Management of Overhead Athletes!