A silver medal at the world championships and a 30-year old athlete who makes theirfirst world team and then places in the top 8. In this episode of On Coaching we bring in friend and coach Danny Mackey. Danny is the coach for the Brooks Beasts and guided Drew Windle to a medal and Katie Mackey to a top finish. Danny gives us the inside information on Drew’s progression and what the difference was in taking Katie from just missing teams to racing at the world level.
There are a lot of gems in this podcast, including:
- “There were no breakthroughs. We got better at getting better.”
- “They trust me more than I trust myself…Drew told me ‘I came here to run for you.”
- On tactics: “Experts anticipate instead of react to it.”
- The key to tactics is being patient and not getting emotional.
- On Danny’s job for Drew pre-race. “I wanted to make his world small…breathing in and out, the right mix of impulse control and aggression.”
Keep the Podcast going! Visit our Sponsor:
Health IQ is offering special rates for us runners! Just submit your running data (race results, strava links, or similar) and see the special rates. Go to healthiq.com/oncoaching to find out more.
The Health IQ advantage is their unique mortality model on the health conscious and they have lower rates for health conscious people (like a good driver savings on auto insurance).
Share your thoughts with us on social media:
Ways to Listen and Subscribe to the Podcast: