You can’t force Fitness! In this weeks episode we talk about the trap of trying to force our way to racing fast. It’s a tempting trap to fall into. Train the athlete for how fast they want to be, not who they currently are. Yet, what we’ve noticed as coaches is the minute you start trying to force your way to a breakthrough, performance falls apart. Instead of letting your wants drive the training, we suggest an adaptation driven model. The topics covered in this podcast include:
- Bowerman’s Date Pace versus Goal Pace model (5min in)
- Don’t mistake the map for the territory (10min)
- The difference between Goals and Vision.
- Creating a check point along the way, not a destination (13min)
- Coach the person, not the spreadsheet (17min)
- Win more workouts than you lose
- Earn your right to run faster (32min)
- When do you start calculating in a race? (43min)
- The Linear Growth Model versus Reality (46min)
- The Dip in performance (57min)
- Consumer Coaching versus real coaching.
Resources Mentioned on this weeks episode:
Bill Bowerman’s date pace versus goal pace
Finite and Infinite Games by James Carse
The Dip: A Little Book that Teaches You When to Quit by Seth Godin
Win More Workouts Than You Lose– A blog on Science of Running.
Visit our Sponsor
We have a new sponsor for the On Coaching Podcast, Final Surge! What is Final Surge?
It’s a training log designed for athletes, coaches, and teams. They are giving listeners of the podcast 10% off by using the coupon code ONCOACHING
For coaches, it makes assigning workouts and designing training plans a breeze. It allows copious amounts of feedback from athletes, and even a message board for your athletes to interact, creating team bonding from afar. For athletes, it’s a sophisticated log that can track just about everything.
How do we know it’s good? I utilize Final Surge with my athletes as a way to plan, track, and receive feedback on all of their training. It streamlines the process of coaching and makes it where I don’t miss a run, workout, or nagging injury that pops up.
For athletes, it’s free to use. For coaches, there’s a monthly cost. They also have training plans designed by the pro’s, if you are looking for one!
Check out Final Surge and receive 10% off by visiting http://www.finalsurge.com/oncoaching and using the coupon code ONCOACHING