In this episode we speak with Sarah Sellers, a nurse anesthetist, whose surprise 2nd place finish at the 2018 Boston Marathon made her an overnight sensation in the running world.
Sarah Sellers is best known for her surprise 2nd place finish at the 2018 Boston Marathon with a time of 2:44:04.
She went on to finish 18th at the 2018 NYC Marathon, 19th at the 2019 Boston Marathon, and ran 2:31:49 at the 2019 Chicago Marathon finishing in 12th place. In 2020 she set a PR of 2:31:48 at the US Olympic Marathon Trials where she finished 11th.
She is currently sponsored by Altra Running, Biofreeze, and UCAN and is a certified registered nurse anesthetist in Arizona. Follow her on Twitter @SarahWhoSellers
- Tell us how you got started in running. What were your events in college?
- What made you want to move to the marathon distance and how did that go?
- Your first marathon was the Huntsville Marathon in Utah and you ended up winning with a time of 2:44:47. What were your goals going into that race and were you surprised to win?
- What was your goal going into the 2018 Boston Marathon? Were you working with a coach to prepare for that race?
- At what point did you know that you were going to place?
- What was it like going from being a relative unknown in the running world to making the podium at Boston? Was there ever a point where the pressure or attention got to you?
- How has your training changed since you’ve become an elite runner? Do you still train primarily alone?
- How do you schedule your training around your work as a nurse anesthetist? How do you balance shift work and marathon training?
- Was your most recent race the Olympic Trials in Atlanta? How did you prepare for that marathon and how did it go for you?
- Do you follow a specific eating plan?
- How do you fuel for races?
Also Mentioned in This Episode
Ucan used by Sarah Sellers and many top athletes. Use the code MTAUCAN for 15% off if you’re a returning customer or MTA25 for 25% off your first order.
The Social Distancing Run -Virtual race with super cool finisher’s medal.
Athletic Greens -Use our link to claim your special offer today – 20 FREE travel packs valued at $79 with your first purchase.
Magic Spoon Cereal -Delicous breakfast cereal with 0 sugar, 12 grams of protein, and only 3 net grams of carbs in each serving! Use the code MTA to get free shipping.
I Want That Mask -Face covers with running style made by MTA listener Frédérique Poulain