Cortisol is one of the essential hormones in our body. Check out the best supplements to reduce cortisol.
Cortisol is essential in regulating blood sugar levels, immune system response, mood, sleep cycle, etc.
It is a stress hormone produced by the adrenal gland. It helps us deal with stressful situations. But too much cortisol causes many problems such as weight gain, depression, anxiety, hypertension, diabetes, etc.
It helps regulate metabolism, blood pressure, blood glucose, etc. Too much cortisol can cause obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, depression, and cancer.
What is cortisol?
Cortisol is a stress hormone that’s created in response to stress. When you have a stressful event – like an argument with a loved one, cortisol surges, and the body responds by releasing more of the hormone.
Cortisol is a hormone that helps the body respond to stress. When your cortisol levels rise, blood glucose and fats are also raised. These factors rapidly increase energy expenditure, raising blood sugar levels and encouraging fat storage. Cortisol is usually present in the bloodstream in amounts that allow optimal health and well-being. Still, excessive production of cortisol can cause problems over time, including fat gain and weight loss resistance.
What happens when you’re stressed?
The longer you’re stressed, the more cortisol your body pumps out. So how do you keep cortisol levels from getting too high? Here are some suggestions:
- Physical activity releases endorphins, which provide a natural high similar to that produced by cocaine.
- Relaxation techniques, such as meditation or yoga, can lower cortisol levels.
- Meditation can boost mental alertness, which can help reduce stress.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (or CBT) can help people cope with stress more effectively.
- Acupuncture may help reduce cortisol levels.
- Music has been shown to lower cortisol levels.
- Eating a healthy diet and getting enough sleep is crucial in keeping cortisol levels under control.
Some of the best supplements to reduce cortisol include:
- Grape seed extract, which can help keep cortisol levels stable;
- ashwagandha, an herb that helps the body adapt to stress;
- magnesium, which helps the body cope with stress;
- omega-3 fatty acids, which support the nervous system; and
- vitamin C, which helps the body fight off infection.
- Taking these supplements can help keep cortisol levels in check and reduce the adverse effects of stress.
Natural ways to lower cortisol levels
|Natural Ways to Lower Cortisol Levels||Importance Rating (1-10)||References and Scientific Studies|
|Exercise regularly||9||Kim, H. G., et al. (2013). “The Effects of Exercise on Cortisol Levels in Obese Korean Children.” Journal of Physical Therapy Science, 25(12), 1575-1579. Link|
|Get enough sleep||10||Leproult, R., & Van Cauter, E. (2011). “Effect of 1 week of sleep restriction on testosterone levels and cortisol secretion in healthy young men.” JAMA, 305(21), 2173-2174. Link|
|Practice mindfulness meditation||8||Tang, Y. Y., et al. (2015). “The neuroscience of mindfulness meditation.” Nature Reviews Neuroscience, 16(4), 213-225. Link|
|Laugh more often||5||Berk, L. S., et al. (1989). “Neuroendocrine and stress hormone changes during mirthful laughter.” The American Journal of the Medical Sciences, 298(6), 390-396. Link|
|Reduce caffeine intake||7||Lovallo, W. R., et al. (2005). “Caffeine Stimulation of Cortisol Secretion Across the Waking Hours in Relation to Caffeine Intake Levels.” Psychosomatic Medicine, 67(5), 734-739. Link|
|Try herbal remedies like ashwagandha or Rhodiola||6||Chandrasekhar, K., et al. (2012). “A prospective, randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled study of safety and efficacy of a high-concentration full-spectrum extract of ashwagandha root in reducing stress and anxiety in adults.” Indian Journal of Psychological Medicine, 34(3), 255-262. Link|
|Eat a balanced and healthy diet||9||Elghaba, R. A., et al. (2019). “Diet and cortisol response: a systematic review and meta-analysis.” Nutrition Journal, 18(1), 58. Link|
|Spend time in nature||7||Li, Q. (2010). “Effect of forest bathing trips on human immune function.” Environmental Health and Preventive Medicine, 15(1), 9-17. Link|
|Spend time with loved ones||6||Dickerson, S. S., & Kemeny, M. E. (2004). “Acute stressors and cortisol responses: a theoretical integration and synthesis of laboratory research.” Psychological Bulletin, 130(3), 355-391. Link|
|Take breaks and engage in relaxing activities||7||Van der Klink, J. J., et al. (2001). “The benefits of interventions for work-related stress.” American Journal of Public Health, 91(2), 270-276. Link|
These references and scientific studies support the effectiveness of these natural ways to lower cortisol levels. Incorporating these strategies into your daily routine can help reduce stress and promote better overall health. However, it’s important to remember that these methods may not work for everyone, and it’s always best to consult with a healthcare professional before making any significant changes to your lifestyle.
Important notice before buying any supplements to reduce cortisol
This story is meant to warn you against buying supplements that claim to lower or increase cortisol levels, since many of us don’t have enough cortisol because of our lifestyles and other things. We do not want to buy unnecessary supplements, so let me give you some helpful information to help you make the right decision that your body needs.
The primary objective is not to spread false information regarding performance-enhancing supplements but only try to inform people looking for a supplement that can boost their testosterone levels naturally, so here I will be giving you some helpful information regarding this article before getting into details about it.
Many people have a great deal of cortisol and may not even be aware of it. Cortisol is a hormone made by the adrenal glands, and it helps control our metabolism and keep us alert. On the other hand, high cortisol levels can cause several health problems, such as obesity, heart disease, depression, and trouble sleeping.
Even among those who don’t have health issues, excessive cortisol can cause emotional problems. This stress hormone makes your brain function more poorly, so much so that too much of it can make you feel irritable and anxious all the time.
Ranking the best supplements to reduce cortisol
Goli® Ashwagandha & Vitamin D Gummy
- Vegan, Non-GMO, Gluten-free & Gelatin-free: Each bottle of Goli Ashwagandha contains 60 delicious vegan, non-gmo, gluten-free & gelatin free Ashwa gummies.
- America's #1 Ashwagandha Vitamin Brand! (Source: SPINS MULO (powered by IRI) 52 weeks ending 2/20/22.)
- KSM-66 Ashwagandha Gummies. Ashwagandha is an herb that provides an array of benefits. Goli Ashwa Gummies use KSM-66 Ashwagandha, a highly bioavailable, full-spectrum root extract. Ashwa Gummies highlight a holistic approach to overall health. KSM-66 Ashwagandha is shown to help: Reduce Stress and Promote Relaxation, Support Sleep Quality, Maintain Quality of Life, and more.
- Made in the USA: with select ingredients thoughtfully curated from around the world. All Goli products are made in allergen-free state of the art facilities in the United States to ensure that the quality of our product is the highest it can be.
- Goli is a proud supporter of Vitamin Angels
The Goli Ashwagandha and Vitamin D gummy are the first to include the powerhouse adaptogen Ashwagandha. With 600mg of organic KSM-66 Ashwagandha and 1000IU of organic vitamin D3 in each serving, this unique gummy sweetened only with organic tapioca syrup and organic cane sugar, promotes boundless energy, improves concentration, increased libido, boosts immune function, calms adrenal fatigue, helps decrease depression and stress levels – benefiting overall well being.
Ashwagandha 1950mg Organic Ashwagandha Root Powder with Black Pepper Extract
- Organic Ashwagandha: With so many subpar products Ayurveda products on the current market, we saw the need for a high-quality supplement that actually works. Our Ashwagandha supplement is made with Organic Ashwagandha root powder. No leaves, no stems, no fillers. Just pure ashwagandha root with black pepper extract, the way it's been used in India for over 2500 years
- Natural Ayurveda Stress Support: Ashwagandha is a powerful adaptogen that supports stress. Ashwagandha has also been shown to support mental recall and alertness.
- Mood Support: 90 veggie ashwagandha capsules with black pepper for increased absorption. Ashwagandha works to support stress and mood. Ashwagandha, also known as withania somnifera, helps the body support the three stresses: mental, physical and emotional stress.
- Supports Athletic Endurance: Ashwagandha has been studied for its ability to support aerobic exercise and muscles.
- Safety Assured Standard of Quality: Our ashwagandha is 3rd-party tested for purity and manufactured in the USA using imported and domestic ingredients in a cGMP-certified facility. We source our ashwagandha directly from its origin in India
Organic Ashwagandha Root Supplement. Stress can wreak havoc on our bodies and minds, creating negativity and discomfort. While there are many ways to manage stress, we saw the need for a natural stress relief supplement. Enter our Ashwagandha supplement – 100% vegan/vegetarian capsules made with pure premium ashwagandha root powder with black pepper extract.
OLLY Goodbye Stress Gummy, GABA
- OLLY GOODBYE STRESS GUMMY: Calm your mind and counter bad vibes with the help of our strawberry and lemon verbena flavored gummy supplements. This stress support zen blend uses GABA and L-Theanine to help you stay calm, cool, and collected.
- THE GOODS INSIDE: B12 is essential for the production of cellular energy. CoQ10 helps support your mitochondria, the energy producing structures that keep your cells powered up and Goji Berry is a super food to help maintain a steady flow of energy
- HOW TO TAKE: Chew two gummies, no food or water needed
- NATURALLY DELICIOUS: These chewable vitamins come in naturally flavored Berry Verbena made with no artificial colors or flavors and are gluten free. 42 gummies per bottle (21 day supply)
- MIX AND MATCH: Delightful and delicious OLLY products can be taken together—mix and match as you please.
A stressful day can take a toll on your mind and body. Try our OLLY Goodbye Stress gummy, a cortisol manager, to help you feel calm and collected. Our zen blend uses GABA and L-Theanine to support focus, positive energy, and a sense of overall well-being without making you drowsy.
NOW Supplements, Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) 450 Mg
- Ayurvedic adaptogen: Ashwagandha is used as a general tonic and adaptogen, helping the body adapt to temporary normal stress. Now Ashwagandha is a standardized extract (450 milligrams per serving). Take 1 capsule 2 to 3 times daily.
- Free radical scavenger/Immune system support: Preliminary data suggest that Ashwagandha supports a healthy immune system.
- Certifications/classifications: Non-GMO, kosher, dairy free, egg free, nut free, soy free, vegan/vegetarian, made without gluten
- GMP quality assured: NPA A-rated GMP certification means that every aspect of the NOW manufacturing process has been examined, including our laboratory/testing methods (for stability, potency, and product formulation).
- Packaged in the USA by a family owned and operated company since 1968
Used as a general tonic and adaptogen, Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is an herb that helps the body adapt to temporary everyday stress. Standardized extracts ensure that Ashwagandha delivers a guaranteed potency of withanolides. Preliminary data suggest that Ashwagandha supports a healthy immune system, in part by its ability to scavenge free radicals.
Genius Estrogen Balance – DIM Supplement w/Grape Seed Extract
- Healthy Hormone Balance for Men and Women: Genius Estrogen Balance can serve as an anti-estrogen aromatase inhibitor to help men pursuing a leaner physique, while also providing support for hot flashes and menopause relief for women.* 100% natural, vegan, and made in the USA without added sugar, artificial additives, gluten, GMOs, or proprietary blends. Serving size 1 capsule, 30 servings per container.
- DIM-Boosted: Genius Estrogen Balance contains Diindolylmethane (DIM), a key aromatase inhibitor to properly balance and control estrogen.* Scientists have found that DIM increases favorable estrogens while reducing less favorable estrogens.* Plus, it’s an age-old remedy for skin blemishes. We also added Grape Seed to block the conversion from testosterone to estrogen and improve blood flow, as well as BioPerine for enhanced nutrient absorption.*
- Estrogen Blocker for Men and Menopause Support for Women: For men, Genius Estrogen Balance can help address body fat increase, workout performance, and loss of libido.* For women, this hormone-balancing supplement can help avoid weight gain during menopause.*
- How to Use: Genius Estrogen Balance does not need to be cycled. Consume 1 capsule with 8 oz of water 20 minutes prior to a meal.
- Supplement Smarter: Genius Brand supplements are a rejection of backwards industry dogma that misled generations of health and wellness enthusiasts. For us, scientific innovation and natural ingredients come first. Whether you’re a pro athlete, stay-at-home parent, retiree, or anything in between, our products can be of benefit to you. We’re all humans, and we are in this together.
Let’s face it. Hormone disruption can happen at virtually any stage in life for men and women. Genius Estrogen Balance provides a safe and effective way to help stabilize estrogen levels. The active ingredient is DIM (Diindolylmethane), shown in studies to support proper estrogen metabolism by supporting healthy estrogen balance.
It also boosts testosterone naturally, can help curb hormonal acne, and supports fat loss. Our formulation includes an added 25mg of Grape Seed Extract (95% Polyphenols), which may assist with keeping blood pressure at healthy levels while boosting libido. Just one capsule a day can help with hot flashes and mood swings from hormones that aren’t working right.
Himalaya Organic Ashwagandha, 2 Month Supply for Stress Relief
- HIGH QUALITY STANDARDIZED HERBAL SUPPLEMENT: Himalaya uses superior-grade Organic Ashwagandha that passed the most stringent identity, potency and purity tests. Every batch is produced in the same way, with the same ingredients and same concentration of high-quality ingredients to ensure high-level consistency.
- CLEAN & SAFE: USDA Certified Organic, plant-based & Non-GMO verified. Free from: synthetics, additives, artificial fillers, binders or excipients and bioengineered stuff. Gluten free, wheat free, corn free, soy free and dairy free.
- A DAILY ENERGY BOOSTER FOR STRESS RELIEF: Himalaya Organic Ashwagandha helps you rejuvenate adrenal function and balance normal cortisol levels. This famous adaptogen and energy booster from Ayurveda promotes stress and anxiety relief, helps your overall mood, and supports you in times of occasional sleeplessness.
- CLINICAL STRENGTH THAT MEETS YOUR NEEDS: Unlike regular Ashwagandha gummies, Ashwagandha capsules, or even KSM Ashwagandha, Himalaya Organic Ashwagandha caplets are made with a unique combination of 280 mg of root extracts, 10 mg of supercritical CO2 extracts and 380 mg of Ashwagandha root powder to give you a highly efficacious Organic Ashwagandha concentration in just one caplet a day.
- GROWN IN NATIVE SOIL FOR EFFECTIVENESS: Soil, rainfall, sunlight and climate all affect the chemistry of a plant. An herb harvested in its native soil stays true to the benefits that nature intended. We grow our organic Ashwagandha in its native, Indian soil, to preserve its inherent qualities and give you confidence that it will be effective again and again
Himalaya Organic Ashwagandha dietary supplement supports a healthy response to occasional stress, helps maintain a normal range of emotional balance, and assists you in feeling calm and relaxed throughout your day. Moreover, Himalayan Ashwagandha helps to promote a healthy stress response and is the perfect calming supplement. So that you don’t experience periods of excessive joy and anxiety
All herbs are non-GMO, gluten-free, and vegan and are crafted without additives or fillers. Himalaya’s products are tested carefully with the latest technology to ensure they work well.
Organic Ashwagandha Stress, Mood & Energy Support Supplement with Probiotics
- STRESS RESPONSE: As a clinically studied adaptogen, Ashwagandha has been proven to help manage stress. Our Ashwagandha Stress and Mood has 600mg of Organic Ashwagandha Root (30mg Withanolides) to help promote your body’s healthy stress response
- BOOST ENERGY AND MOOD: Whether you’re looking for a pick me up or a boost to get you through the day; our clinically studied formula is designed to help nourish adrenal glands by optimizing energy levels and fighting fatigue to help you feel your best
- PROBIOTICS FOR OPTIMAL ABSORPTION: In addition to using ingredients entirely from whole foods, mykind Ashwagandha Stress and Mood provides a 4mg Probiotic Blend, added to aid in absorption along with Organic fermented Ginger Root for digestive comfort
- CLEAN TABLET TECHNOLOGY: Our patented process uses only 100 percent Organic and Non-GMO plant material to bind tablets; we also use an Organic, Non-GMO Verified extraction method using only water—absolutely no conventional corn alcohol
- REAL TO THE ROOT: mykind Organics is real to the root—tested at every step—so you don’t have to settle for less than Third-party Certified USDA Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified, Vegan, NSF Gluten-Free and Kosher
Organic Ashwagandha Stress and Mood Supports Energy, Reduces Stress, and Improves Mood. Powered by clinically studied Organic Ashwagandha Root (600mg), this Stress and Mood supplement was thoughtfully formulated to help the body manage stress response, provide energy throughout the day, promote a positive mood, and support adrenal gland health.
Active Adrenal – Advanced Adrenal Fatigue Supplement
- SUPPORTS ADRENAL HEALTH - Active Adrenal is the premier natural supplement to help support your adrenal health, and get you back on the road to a healthier you!
- 3 PREMIUM ADRENAL SUPPORT INGREDIENTS Ashwagandha Root, Holy Basil Leaf & Rhodiola Root help support your adrenals!
- GREAT TASTING & EASY TO USE! Our customers are amazed at how good this all-natural formula tastes, and it’s as simple as squeezing a dropper on your tongue - no clumsy pills, no water necessary!
- ALCOHOL-FREE LIQUID FORMULA Crafted with our advanced extraction process, our liquid formulas are brewed and macerated with an alcohol-free cold-extraction process. Most liquid formulas are made with a warm alcohol extraction that can burn the delicate ingredients and render them less effective.
- INGREDIENTS FROM NATURE We prioritize ingredients sourced from organic and wildcrafted herb farms so your health gets the best nature has to offer. And instead of cramming all these ingredients in a capsule that was thrown together somewhere in China, Active Adrenal is crafted under the guidance of a trained herbalist.
Active Adrenal by BioSource Labs works with your body to improve your adrenal glands’ function, energy, and mood. It can also help inhibit stress, so you can get back to living life to the fullest! Our liquid formula is the best way to fight adrenal fatigue so you can feel like yourself again. Science is still learning about how the body uses Vitamin C, Magnesium, and Ashwagandha to maintain healthy energy levels and adrenal function.
Gaia Herbs Adrenal Health Daily Support
- Adaptogens Supplement: This herbal supplement helps sustain healthy energy and stress levels
- Premium Ingredients: Contains ashwagandha, holy basil, Rhodiola & schisandra to help balance stress
- Supports Adrenal Function: Supporting adrenal glands helps stabilize the body during times of stress
- Purity-Tested: Adrenal Health Daily Support is vegan, gluten-free & proudly made in NC, USA
- Our Story: Since 1987, our purpose has been to connect people, plants, and planet to create healing
Adrenal Health Daily Support Liquid Phyto-Caps help maintain a healthy response to stress by supporting the adrenal glands and nourishing the nervous system while maintaining healthy levels of stress hormones. Featuring clinically studied Rhodiola and Holy Basil, our Adrenal Health Supplement is designed to maintain healthy adrenal gland function while supporting your body’s ability to protect against daily stressors naturally.
Who Should Buy supplements to reduce cortisol?
People with a history of stress problems and others who have recently suffered a traumatic event are at risk of developing high cortisol levels. Women are more likely than men to suffer from stress, but men can also experience a surge in cortisol during traumatic events such as divorce.
Stress that lasts for a long time can cause problems like high blood pressure, weight gain, and even sexual problems. If you constantly need to take time out to relax and calm down, this may be due to high cortisol levels. You may consider making lifestyle changes or taking supplements to reduce cortisol.
Reduced levels of cortisol in the body may be due to:
Addison’s disease, adrenal insufficiency, or hypoadrenalism. When stressed, your body releases cortisol to suppress your immune system.
Cortisol also affects how much sugar is in your blood, which may make you more likely to overeat and get type 2 diabetes.
What are the Health Benefits of supplements to reduce cortisol?
One of the greatest benefits of supplements to reduce cortisol is that they can provide a natural alternative to the drugs used to treat many illnesses. They are also less expensive than most prescription medications, so they are much better.
Taking cortisol supplements may be beneficial for some people. For example, if you have Addison’s disease — a condition that causes adrenal failure — your doctor may prescribe cortisol supplements to increase hormone levels in your body. But taking cortisol supplements does not improve athletic performance or aid weight loss as some people may think.
The health benefits of cortisol supplements may include the following:
- Supporting weight management
- Improved Sleep
- Promoting a leaner physique
- Helping to manage stress levels
- Increasing energy levels
- Improving mood and motivation.
Cortisol has many essential functions in the body; among them are:
- Controlling the body’s use of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates
- Helping maintain blood pressure
- Influencing heart function
- Stimulating your nervous system and body’s natural anti-inflammatory processes
- Helping control moods and sleep cycles
What are the Side Effects of supplements to reduce cortisol?
Most people who take supplements to reduce cortisol experience no side effects. However, some people may experience mild side effects such as:
- Upset stomach
These side effects are usually mild and go away within a few days. If you experience severe side effects, stop taking the supplement and consult your doctor.
If you are looking for a natural way to reduce cortisol levels, consider taking supplements to reduce cortisol. These supplements are available over-the-counter and without a prescription. They are safe and effective for most people and can provide many health benefits. Speak with your doctor if you have any questions or concerns about taking supplements to reduce cortisol.
What are the Side Effects of high cortisol levels?
There are several reasons why you may have high cortisol levels. For instance, your cortisol levels will be high if you have Cushing’s syndrome or hyperaldosteronism. Cortisol levels may be high if you have been on steroids for a long time or if you are overweight. Cortisol levels could also be too high if you are depressed or under a lot of stress.
The Mayo Clinic notes signs of high cortisol levels include weight gain around the upper back and abdomen, thinning skin, easy bruising, and purple stretch marks on the body. You may also experience fatigue and muscle weakness and depression, and anxiety. If your cortisol levels are too high, you may also have high blood pressure and diabetes.
A high level of cortisol can have several adverse effects on your health, including:
It can lead to fat gain and osteoporosis, a condition that weakens bones and makes them more likely to fracture. In addition, cortisol’s effect on the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis – the system that regulates your body’s response to stress – can lead to depression. If you have osteoporosis and your cortisol levels are out of whack, it might be worthwhile to take supplements that help balance your hormone levels so that you don’t get osteoporosis.
Cortisol can make it harder to fall asleep at night and keep you up during the day if it’s too much for your body. It also tends to promote appetite, which can contribute to weight gain.
High cortisol has been associated with a variety of health conditions, including:
- Odfbesity and diabetes
- high blood pressure
- heart disease
- immune suppression
- depression, anxiety, and other psychological disorders.
What is the Recommended Dosage of supplements to reduce cortisol?
Too much cortisol can cause your body to store too much fat – especially around your abdomen. It can also make you gain weight, even when you’re not eating more than usual. If the extra fat is around the middle of your body, it’s “apple-shaped.” If it’s around your thighs and hips, it’s called “pear-shaped.”
The good news is that most people don’t need to take cortisol supplements every day. The recommended dosage is no more than 0.5 milligrams per kilogram (mg/kg) of body weight per day. So if you weigh 180 pounds (82 kilograms), you’d take no more than 41 mg of cortisol per day.
We hope this post on the top supplements will help you manage stress and anxiety while supporting overall health and wellness. We understand the importance of reducing cortisol levels for optimal health, and our guide offers the latest research and information to help you make an informed decision. From natural remedies to scientifically-backed solutions, we’ve got you covered. So, to reduce cortisol levels, visit our website and discover the best supplements for you.
11 Natural Ways to Lower Your Cortisol Levels – Healthline
Exercising regularly can help you better manage stress and promote good health, which may help lower cortisol levels. That said, avoid overdoing it and aim for around 150–200 minutes of …
How to Reduce Cortisol and Turn Down the Dial on Stress
Research suggests these herbs and natural supplements might lower stress, anxiety and/or cortisol levels: Ashwagandha. Rhodiola. Lemon balm. Chamomile. While some herbs might help lower cortisol level …
How to Identify High Cortisol Symptoms and Lower Your Cortisol Levels …
Symptoms of Cushing’s syndrome and the high levels of cortisol it causes may include: Excessive weight gain, especially in the midsection and often with a characteristic fatty hump that develops …
Cortisol: What It Is, Function, Symptoms & Levels – Cleveland Clinic
Regulating your body’s stress response: During times of stress, your body can release cortisol after releasing its “fight or flight” hormones, such as adrenaline, so you continue to stay on …
13 proven natural ways to lower cortisol – Medical News Today
A person trying to lower their cortisol levels should eat a balanced diet, paying particular attention to their sugar and caffeine intake. Some foods that may help to keep cortisol …
Alex is a passionate fitness enthusiast dedicated to helping people lead healthier, more active lifestyles. He encourages small – sustainable changes over drastic transformations and works with people to create customized wellness plans. His mission is to help others benefit from the most effective methods available, sharing tips, strategies, and health & fitness tools on Gearuptofit.com to inspire people to live their best lives.