Find the top benefits of alpha lipoic acid nutritional supplements and discover the best alpha lipoic acid supplements of 2022.
In 2022, the dietary supplement market is expected to reach $230 billion. This equates to an increase of over $130 million from 2015. With such a large number of supplements, it can be difficult to determine which supplement would work best for you. I’ll make it easy with my list of the top alpha-lipoic acid supplements of 2022!
What is an Alpha-Lipoic Acid Supplement?
Alpha-lipoic acid is a powerful antioxidant that can improve your health and aid in the treatment of various conditions. It is naturally found in many foods, including vegetables, meat, fish, fruits, and nuts. If you are looking for a way to boost your health and you want to try something new, this supplement may be right for you.
Alpha-lipoic acid supplements are available over the counter at most drug stores and online retailers. They can be purchased as capsules or tablets. They are also available in liquid form for those who don’t like taking pills or capsules.
How Does Alpha-Lipoic Acid Work?
Alpha-lipoic acid has many different uses because of its ability to help the body repair itself from stressors such as free radicals. Free radicals are molecules that break down healthy cells and cause aging and disease when they aren’t eliminated by antioxidants like alpha lipoic acid.
The Best Alpha-Lipoic Acid Supplements Of 2022
1. Nutricost Alpha Lipoic Acid
Nutricost Alpha Lipoic Acid
600mg Per Serving
- Alpha Lipoic Acid – 240 Capsules Per Bottle; 120-240 Servings Per Bottle
- 600mg of Potent, High Quality Alpha Lipoic Acid Per Serving (300mg Capsules)
- Vegetarian Capsules. Always Over a Year Remaining Before Expiration (See bottom of bottle)
- Non-GMO, Gluten-Free, Soy Free, Vegetarian Friendly, And 3rd Party Tested
- Made In a GMP Compliant, FDA Registered Facility
Nutricost Alpha Lipoic Acid contains 100% natural, non-GMO ALA which has been shown in scientific research to provide numerous health benefits. Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) works as an antioxidant that scavenges free radicals to reduce oxidative stress and stop cellular damage. This supplement is thought to support healthy blood sugar levels, neurotransmittor activity and more.
2. Nature’s Bounty Alpha Lipoic Acid
Nature’s Bounty Alpha Lipoic Acid
200 mg 30 Capsules
- Beneficial antioxidant support.
- Helps your body fight free radicals. Free radicals can cause oxidative stress which may damage cells.
- These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration
Nature’s Bounty Alpha Lipoic Acid is a powerful antioxidant that promotes healthy aging and immune function. Twenty-four double blind studies have shown that it helps maintain healthy triglyceride and glucose levels already in the normal range, and supports heart, liver and brain health.
3. Pure Encapsulations Alpha Lipoic Acid 3.
Pure Encapsulations’ Alpha Lipoic Acid 3 is a highly bioavailable form of Alpha Lipoic Acid that potentiates an antioxidant response and acts as an anti-inflammatory agent. Alpha Lipoic Acid 3 is the most biologically active form of lipoic acid, relying on a unique combination of metabolic pathways and cellular mechanisms to exert its beneficial effects in the body.
4. Superior Labs’ Alpha Lipoic Acid
Superior Labs’ Alpha Lipoic Acid
Pure and Potent
- A POWERFUL ANTI-AGING ANTIOXIDANT
- HEALTHY NERVE FUNCTION, BLOOD SUGAR, TINGLING HAND, FEET, LIMBS
- ABSOLUTE PURITY
- ZERO SYNTHETIC ADDITIVES, FILLERS, HEAVY METALS, ADULTERANTS
- UNQUESTIONABLE QUALITY
Superior Labs’ Alpha Lipoic Acid is a superior product that is an alpha lipoic acid (ALA) salt of R-alpha lipoic acid, which is the more active form. This algaen-based supplement offers many naturally occurring benefits for the body. Superior Labs’ Alpha Lipoic Acid is a non-GMO and gluten free plant extract that is perfect for improving health. It works as an antioxidant and detoxification agent to help reduce inflammation in the body, improve skin health and protect your liver from damage.
5. Now Supplements Alpha Lipoic Acid
Now Supplements Alpha Lipoic Acid
- SUPPORTS GLUTATHIONE PRODUCTION
- TAKE 1 CAPSULE DAILY
- GMP Quality Assured: NPA A-rated GMP certification
- Packaged in the USA by a family owned and operated company since 1968.
- During the summer months products may arrive warm but Amazon stores and ships products in accordance with manufacturers’ recommendations, when provided.
Now Supplements Alpha Lipoic Acid is developed by the leading nutritional supplement manufacturer in the United States. This product contains 100% pure Alpha Lipoic Acid, featuring a pharmaceutical-grade ingredient without added metals or binders. Now Supplements Alpha Lipoic Acid chews are vegan, gluten-free, soy-free and dairy-free. The sour apple flavor makes this supplement convenient and appealing to use during a busy day.
6. Best Naturals Alpha Lipoic Acid
Best Naturals Alpha Lipoic Acid
- Ala – Alpha Lipoic Acid is universal antioxidant
- Ala – Alpha Lipoic Acid supports vision and nerve function, directly recycle Vitamin C and indirectly recycle Vitamin E & Supports synthesis of glutathione.
- No artificial color, flavor or Sweetener, No Preservatives, No Sugar, No Starch
- 600 mg of ALA – Alpha Liopic acid per capsule – 120 Capsules per bottle
- Top QUALITY GMP CERTIFIED PRODUCTS
Best Naturals Alpha Lipoic Acid contains Alpha lipoic acid, a naturally occurring antioxidant found in every cell of the body. It can penetrate the mitochondrial membrane better than other antioxidants and will help neutralize free radicals, improve energy metabolism and reduce oxidative stress which help to support healthy insulin production. Best Naturals Alpha Lipoic Acid also helps to maintain healthy blood sugar levels already within normal range as well as healthy cholesterol levels already within normal range.
7. Doctor’s Best Alpha Lipoic Acid
Doctor’s Best Alpha Lipoic Acid
Helps support Glucose metabolism
- DOCTOR’S BEST ALPHA-LIPOIC ACID (ALA)
- SUPPORT YOUR BODY WITH ANTIOXIDANTS
- SUPPORTS THE BODY’S DEFENSE AGAINST FREE RADICALS
- FREE RADICALS FOR OVERALL WELL-BEING
Doctor’s Best Alpha Lipoic Acid is an essential cofactor in energy production and the key component of the antioxidant enzyme system in your body. ALA supports brain function and promotes healthy aging by protecting cell membranes, improving cellular respiration and energy metabolism, as well as supporting healthy glucose levels. It also supports a healthy inflammatory response by helping to eliminate free radicals which damage tissues.
8. Jarrow Formulas Alpha Lipoic Supplements
Jarrow Formulas Alpha Lipoic Supplements
- ALA Plus Biotin: Alpha lipoic acid (ALA) is an antioxidant functioning in glucose metabolism and energy production
- Antioxidant Support: ALA (the universal antioxidant) and biotin function
- Quick and Sustained Releases
- Convenient Tablets
- Superior Nutrition and Formulation
This alpha-lipoic acid supplement comes in bi-layer capsules, meaning that you’ll get a quick boost of ALA into your system with a more sustained release coming about thirty minutes later.
This makes them great for short-term pain relief.
9. Source Naturals Alpha Lipoic Acid
Source Naturals Alpha Lipoic Acid
- ULTIMATE PROTECTION
- SUPPORT YOUR BODY WITH ANTIOXIDANTS
- A HIGHLY EFFECTIVE ANTIOXIDANT.
- TRUSTED FOR OVER 35 YEARS
- MANUFACTURED IN THE USA
Source Naturals’ ALA supplement comes in a concentration of 300 mg, offering a nice middle ground between 100 and the typical 600.
It’s also super affordable and is manufactured right here in the USA for added quality control.
10. Amazing Nutrition Alpha Lipoic Acid
Amazing Nutrition Alpha Lipoic Acid
- ALA is known as the powerhouse of the cell, where it helps enzymes turn nutrients into energy.
- POTENT ANTIOXIDANT PROPERTIES
- NEUROPATHY SUPPORT ALA may help to reduce the symptoms of nerve damage and may work towards repairing the damaged cells.
- QUALITY All Amazing Formulas products are manufactured in accordance with Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), among the highest standards in the world.
- PURITY & POTENCY
This ALA supplement comes in at 600 mg per serving and is ideal for a wide variety of diets. These capsules are also free of any artificial colors, preservatives, or other ingredients.
Amazing Nutrition products are made in the USA for guaranteed purity and potency.
Who Should Buy Alpha-lipoic Acid?
Alpha-lipoic acid is a fat-soluble antioxidant found in every cell of the body. It helps to protect cells against oxidative stress and also helps boost cellular energy production.
Humans can synthesize this compound, but levels decline with age. Supplementing with alpha-lipoic acid can help restore levels of this important nutrient.
Alpha-lipoic acid has been used in clinical trials to treat type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance. It may also improve blood glucose control and reduce markers of inflammation in people with prediabetes or type 2 diabetes. In addition, it may help lower blood pressure in people with hypertension.
Alpha-lipoic acid is safe for most adults when taken at recommended doses.
However, it may interact with some medications and supplements. Before starting supplementation with alpha-lipoic acid, tell your doctor about any other medications or supplements you’re taking so that he or she can address any potential drug interactions or side effects that may occur.
Preventing Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias
Studies suggest that alpha-lipoic acid may help protect brain cells from oxidative damage, which may help prevent neurological diseases like Alzheimer’s disease and dementia caused by aging.
Treating diabetic neuropathy
Diabetic neuropathy is nerve damage caused by diabetes mellitus (type 1 or type 2). It affects 70% to 80% of people with diabetes, causing pain, numbness, tingling, burning sensations, and weakness in the hands and feet . Early studies suggest that alpha-lipoic acid supplements (500 mg three times daily) may
Alpha-lipoic acid has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity in people with type 2 diabetes. It can also help manage blood sugar levels and prevent glucose from building up in the blood, which may be useful for people who are at risk for or have developed complications from diabetes.
Studies suggest that alpha-lipoic acid may help protect blood vessels from damage caused by high cholesterol and other risk factors for heart disease. This could make it useful for preventing heart attacks and strokes in people who are at high risk.
Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
Some research suggests that taking alpha-lipoic acid supplements may slow down vision loss related to AMD, but more studies are needed before this use can be recommended.
Early research suggests that taking alpha-lipoic acid supplements daily may slow cognitive decline in people with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia caused by other conditions (such as Parkinson’s disease). More research is needed to know if this supplement really works this way, however.
Ranking alpha lipoic acid
One of the most important factors in Alpha-Lipoic Acid Supplements is purity. This essential fatty acid occurs naturally in all living cells, including humans. It’s found in all organs and tissues, but it is particularly concentrated in the liver, kidneys, and pancreas. In fact, it is produced by these organs to help maintain healthy function and fight free radicals that cause cellular damage.
Alpha-lipoic acid is a powerful antioxidant that can help prevent damage to cells caused by free radicals. It works by helping to regenerate other antioxidants like vitamins C and E and glutathione, which are often depleted by free radical activity. This makes alpha-lipoic acid an important part of any anti-aging regime because it helps protect against oxidative stress, which happens when our bodies are exposed to too many toxins from food, air, or water pollution, or even cigarette smoke.
Free radicals can also interfere with normal cell function, leading to inflammation and disease. By reducing inflammation, we keep our bodies healthier, so it’s important for anyone who wants to slow down the effects of aging to make sure they get enough alpha-lipoic acid every day from supplements or foods rich in this nutrient such as broccoli, spinach, and red bell peppers.
Tips to help you choose the best alpha-lipoic acid supplements
In order to be effective, alpha-lipoic acid must be 100% pure and free of any harmful substances. This is why it is so important to choose a manufacturer that uses only high-quality ingredients and follows strict manufacturing protocols.
If you are not sure which brand to choose, here are some tips:
Look for the USP Verified logo on the label. USP Verification ensures that products have been tested for purity and potency by an independent organization.
Choose a product that contains no fillers, binders, or other additives.
It should also be free from artificial flavors and colors, gluten, soy, and other allergens.
Check out the FDA warning letter database to see if any brands have been cited for producing contaminated products or selling fraudulent ones. This database includes all recalls issued by the FDA since 2008. However, it does not include recalls issued by state agencies or foreign countries such as Canada or Japan, where most supplement companies sell their products today.
Benefits of Alpha-Lipoic Acid Supplements
It may lower risk factors for heart disease.
Some research suggests that ALA supplements can reduce triglycerides, increase HDL cholesterol and lower blood pressure, all of which help protect against heart disease. Other research has found that ALA may reduce inflammation, improve insulin sensitivity and improve blood sugar control. These are all important steps in reducing the risk of developing diabetes and other chronic conditions linked with it.
It improves liver health.
Alpha-lipoic acid has been shown to protect liver tissue from damage caused by toxins like alcohol or acetaminophen (drugs such as Tylenol). In one study, smokers who took 300 milligrams of alpha-lipoic acid twice daily had better markers for liver health than those taking a placebo pill once daily over six months; they also showed improvements in tests related to DNA integrity and cell death (apoptosis).
Alpha-lipoic acid is a powerful antioxidant that can help improve the health of your cells.
This supplement is also beneficial for diabetics because it helps lower blood sugar levels. The supplement is also available in topical forms like creams and gels, which can be used to treat dark scars, wrinkles, and stretch marks.
Protects the brain
Alpha-lipoic acid is neuroprotective, which means it protects your brain against damage from free radicals. It does this by regenerating other antioxidants in the body, such as vitamin C, vitamin E, and glutathione, which are nutrients that protect cells from damage from free radicals.
Alpha-lipoic acid improves memory by repairing damaged nerve cells in the brain so that information can be processed more efficiently. It also helps with learning new information by protecting new nerve cells from damage caused by free radicals during learning.
Protects against Alzheimer’s Disease
Alpha-lipoic acid protects against Alzheimer’s disease by blocking oxidative stress on nerve cells and preventing cell death due to lack of glucose (energy).
ALA may help lower blood sugar levels.
People with diabetes often use alpha-lipoic acid supplements because they help lower blood sugar levels. ALA seems to work by stimulating insulin secretion from the pancreas, which helps to regulate blood sugar levels. It also appears to protect against damage to insulin-producing beta cells in the pancreas, which helps prevent diabetes complications such as nerve damage, vision loss, and kidney failure.
ALA may help protect against nerve damage caused by low blood sugar.
Low blood sugar can cause nerve damage if it’s not treated quickly enough with glucose tablets or other sources of energy, such as food or drinks with carbohydrates or protein. ALA supplements may help reduce this nerve damage when taken before meals or snacks that contain carbohydrates (which raise blood glucose).
Side Effects of Alpha-Lipoic Acid Supplements
The side effects of alpha-lipoic acid supplements depend on the dosage and how long you take them.
At low doses, alpha-lipoic acid supplements appear to be safe. However, some people have reported the following side effects:
This is a common side effect of alpha-lipoic acid supplements. It usually gets better after you stop taking the supplement or lower your dosage.
Some people experience nausea when taking high doses of alpha-lipoic acid supplements (1 to 2 grams per day). This may be due to the digestive enzymes in alpha-lipoic acid that can irritate your stomach lining when taken in high doses. If this happens, try lowering your dosage or taking it with food.
In some people with rheumatoid arthritis or other chronic diseases that cause joint pain, taking high doses of alpha-lipoic acid supplements (1 to 2 grams per day) may worsen their symptoms for several days before they start feeling better.
Recommended Dosage of Alpha-lipoic acid supplements
Alpha-lipoic acid is naturally found in a wide variety of foods, including red meat, broccoli, tomatoes, spinach, Brussels sprouts, greenpeace, potatoes, organ meats like heart or kidney, and rice bran. Eating these foods in normal amounts can result in overdoses of ALA. However, if you choose to take an alpha-lipoic acid supplement, be aware that the supplements usually contain over 1000 times more ALA than regular food sources.
Available evidence suggests that between 300 and 600 mg of ALA is suitable for daily consumption. If you use alpha-lipoic acid exclusively for diabetic reasons, you might benefit from taking between 600 and 1200 mg each day. Depending on how many milligrams are contained within each supplement capsule, this may be 1 or 2 pills.
You may take alpha-lipoic acid supplements either by capsule or by injection; the latter will more often be given by a doctor, although some diabetic patients may get their own injector kits for home-use.
Again, be sure to talk to your doctor to determine whether taking an ALA supplement makes sense. Depending on your diet, a single pill might be more than your body should consume.
Alpha-lipoic acid supplements are safe and beneficial for many people with diabetes, but they may interact with certain drugs.
- Alpha-lipoic acid supplements are safe and beneficial for many people with diabetes, but they may interact with certain drugs.
- Alpha-lipoic acid supplements may interact with drugs that lower blood sugar levels, such as insulin or sulfonylurea. If you take these drugs along with an ALA supplement, your blood sugar could get too low. This can happen if you take the ALA at the same time of day as your medication or if you increase or decrease the dosage of your medication after taking an ALA supplement.
- Alpha-lipoic acid supplements may interact with other medications that lower blood pressure, including ACE inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs). Taking these medications along with alpha-lipoic acid may lower your blood pressure too much.
- Alpha lipoic supplementation can result in very rapid improvement of diabetic neuropathy symptoms within a few weeks to months and hence should be used cautiously in patients on antihypertensive therapy like diuretics and beta blockers, which slow down reflexes, leading to dizziness and syncope due to a sudden drop in BP during exercise, especially when combined with hypotension caused by hypoglycemia during stress test/exercise tolerance testing because these agents are removed rapidly from circulation while alpha lipoics reach maximum equilibrium concentration within 30 minutes after ingestion.
If you’re interested in taking alpha-lipoic acid for diabetes, talk to your doctor about whether it’s right for you. They can discuss the possible benefits, risks, and side effects of this supplement and help you decide whether to take it.
Alex is a fitness aficionado, empowers others towards healthier, active lives through small, sustainable changes for lasting results. Visit Gearuptofit.com for insightful tips and resources to enrich a balanced lifestyle.